Friday, January 12, 2007

SitCom

Kevin and I are living in a studio apt. This means we have a single medium sized room to share. The only other room is the bathroom. It's close to town which is nice, a bit of a trek to the school for Kev though.

Rent is high. $1,000/month. I suggest looking a little bit harder for soemthing a bit bigger and cheaper. Especially if you're planning to have a car. We came across sub $1,000 houses with 3 bedrooms and a yard that were 10 minutes outside of Hilo. If you have a car that's nothing. On a bike it's downhill on the way and up hill on the way home. It can get grueling. The town is completely accessable by bike though, and we're giving it a shot.
Another post of living without a car in Hilo later.

If you know where you're planning to live before you arrive, call ahead and schedule an internet connection to be installed. If you arrive at the wrong time, like at the beginning of a semester, you'll be competing with all the students for a 'net connection. We have to wait a week and a half before ours will be installed. The local public libraries only offer 50 minutes a day on their computers. More on Libraries later.

Our one room apt provides no privacy and no cell phone reception. Cooking, eating, computering, reading, sleeping all happen in the same room. It's easy to get on each other's toes. Get something with a least a bedroom. Luckily we only have 2.5 months more to go before we find a house.

2 comments:

Jan Bosman said...

Just hope you can get around having to stuff a backpack full of groceries and then biking back up the hill to your house. If nothing else, I'm more fit than ever, but god damn I could use a massage.

I fully feel your pain. Your ordeal sounds almost entirely like it was for me when I first moved up here. Save that I did it all by my onesy.

Sandy said...

you're in the northwest with snow. I wear flip flops to work. sucka.