Sunday, January 21, 2007

So J alluded to this a couple days ago, but getting rid of (almost) everything you own isn't so hard. The hard part is convincing yourself you don't care about these treasured sentimental knickknacks long enough to toss them in the trash, then convincing yourself that you just did the right thing. And as it turns out, convincing yourself that you just did the right thing isn't very hard. Just keep telling yourself, "I never knew I was so amazing," and, "Is there anyone in the world as hardcore/awesome/much-of-a-genius as me?" (The respective answers are "HAHAHA" and "YES", but pretend otherwise.)

I'm not really sure why S&J think I'll have some sort of insight into the workings of the UH, but I'll tell you what I can. Basically, it's the same as school everywhere else. UHH is pretty cheap ($10k/year/out of state), and pretty small (only 3000 students), which means the profs are happy to help out with anything. So that's not bad. They're a little anachronistic, like the rest of Hilo... their computers are a year or two older than any comparable school, and their "introduction to computer gaming" course starts out with MS Paint. In Kansas this might be backwards redneck bullshit, but here it's delightful local charm.
At least, it damn well better be. Hawaiian Ethnobotany is everything I was hoping for, and it's nice to be taking CS classes focused on C++, but sometimes I wish they didn't feel it was necessary to have a different network login/password for each class, plus one for the library and one for the website. Oh yes, you read that right.

Anyway, the unemployed hawaiian student blues got me down, but I have a feeling that once I get some work I'll be back up here talking some bull about how people come back from Heaven just to spend their vacations in Hawai'i. Love and respect. Later.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

One way to look at your useless but sentimental items that you don't want anymore but are afraid to get rid of because they were gifts is to realize that the people who gave you them don't want them to be a burden.

It may be time to get rid of those 15 lbs rotors.

Jakuza said...

Them rotors been done gone, honey.